Friday 23 May 2014

1 day to go - a short story of this challenge

So it is one day to go!!! The weather looks miserable the forecast is even worse. We are slightly apprehensive of what lays in front of us but there is also the sense of excitement and happiness that it is here already!

Most of you who see this blog know the story of this challenge. My story. For those who don't, below is a short one.

When you are able bodied you don't give much thought about disabilities, access issues, inconvenience, cost of disability. You go where you want to, do what you want to, care little for what's not there. I know - I am guilty of that. Life had no limits, I did what I wanted.

And then suddenly my life changed, and changed a lot. My mind is still the same but parts of my body just do not work anymore. What was simple yesterday becomes impossible today. Walking the dog, getting petrol, putting my shoes on in the morning, helping my wife with daily chores. Life became very, very limited. As much as I can adjust to many things - one thing matters more that the others. I am determined to keep my independence!

With so many things to deal with, others have made life so much easier. My neighbors, the access officer in the local council (thank you Andrew for your support), financial help from Access to Work to enable me to keep doing the job I love. Most of all the support from my wife, my parents and my friends. This has been truly humbling.

And then there were battles; the local land owner with no care for access issues, being unable to stay in my house, cost of disabled goods, the red tape, etc. But most difficult of all is the ACCESS! Access to the outdoors, access to a normal life, a life that any person should be allowed to live. Gates, steps, stiles.... a wheelchair nightmare.


And that is exactly why I decided to do this challenge. Roy's Coast to Coast Wheelchair Challenge. While I can't change what happens in the wider countryside, working for RSPB, I can ensure that the 20 superb RSPB Nature Reserves in northern England are exemplars of accessibility for people with disabilities, mobility problems and for parents with prams. 

During 2014, I will personally audit all RSPB Nature Reserves in northern England and draw up a prioritised list of actions for change. 100% of the money raised will be spent directly on the changes I identify.

So with one day to go I will just say - let's do it!

3 comments:

  1. Never met you, but moved by your 'get up and go' attitude, good luck on the cross-country jaunt, impressive.

    Jos Stratford

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Roy !! Looking forward to hearing your updates about the challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of us never realise the problems others face, so thanks for sharing and keep up the challenge

    ReplyDelete